Monday 17 December 2012

Learning to love India – an ode to Indians


The longer I spend in India, the more I have grown accustomed and endeared towards the unique charms of Indian life.



It certainly wasn’t love at first sight. Perhaps this as due to our route from peaceful Nepal, through busy and stressful cities like Varanasi, Agra and Delhi, a whistle-stop tour of Rajasthan, then a week in rat race Mumbai before reaching the tranquility and welcoming generosity of the beautiful South.

Whilst I don’t think I’ll ever get past the shitty (arf arf) sanitation here, I feel more able to separate the good from the bad and the ugly. More able to enjoy my many good experiences and just to accept certain inconveniences.

Learning to love India is as simple as opening a thesaurus. (Though my process of gradual appreciation has taken far longer).

Instead of over-crowded, try bustling.

For money-grabbing hustlers, read opportunists.

I’ve even grown to admire the entrepreneurial spirit of the desperate Delhi shoe cleaner who planted a turd on my shoe (OK, no I haven’t, I’m still fuming about that one!)

The absolute determination to make money in any way possible has to be respected. People here literally need to ‘make a living.’ Without cash, they’ll die.

True, there are some over greedy bastards and I don’t like them, but I can spot them a mile off now and wising up to these wiseguys’ antics has its own self-satisfactory rewards.

Believe me, I haven’t missed the irony that while I freely whine about being ripped off r scammed by Indians. My uninvited British ancestors occupied the entire nation or centuries. Relentlessly reaping resources at the expense of the indigenous people.

Another conclusion I’ve reached is that it I OK to be poor in India.

Because nearly everyone else is.

As a stoned Swede explained to me. The homeless, drop-outs and drug users are marginalised in his society. Ignored and friendless. People cross the road to avoid them.

Here it’s different. The poor are the majority. In such a community of peers, it’s impossible to be isolated.

A case in point is the Dharvi slum in Mumbai where a million people live in a square mile of shacks, tents and  crumbling buildings sandwiched between two railway lines.

It’s not a comfortable existence, but they get by. And from my experience there, despite the hardships, most people were happy. I certainly found more smiles and laughter there than on my previous daily Norwood-Junction-to-London-Bridge commute.

Indians have a dogged determination. An admirable attitude and work ethic.

From the beach seller who tried (unsuccessfully) to sell me a drum at least 30 times in a week in Gokarna, to the city workers who have completed further education and earned good jobs.

I have met many Indians who take great pride in their jobs. Rightly so. Chances are they’ve worked very hard to be there.

It’s no coincidence that my local GPs in Croydon are Doctors Singh, Shah and Gengatharen.

Personally, it gives me renewed gratitude for how fortunate I have been to have stumbled into and forged a career in an industry I enjoy. Friends and family will attest that my attitude towards education was never anything like first class.

Another thing I am in awe of and very envious of, is the Indians’ ability to sleep anywhere.
While I’ve moaned about paper-thin straw mattresses, bed bugs and my feet always hanging off the bed, I’ve seen locals sleeping absolutely everywhere.

On the pavement, on a parked bicycle, in tuk-tuks, eight to a bed in sleeper train carriages. Even in the middle of a very busy dual carriageway. Neither safe nor quite, two of the foremost qualities I look for in a place to sleep.

As I write this, beside me a smartly-dressed 40-year-old is curled up in the fetal position catching some ZZZs in a stone floor corner of Hospet Junction’s concourse. A newspaper for his pillow.

People of India, I doff my turban to you.

Our flight to Thailand is booked for January 3. I don’t want to leave.

There must be something in the curry.





No comments:

Post a Comment